• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

From a hard drive crash, a silver lining

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline CampoKing - Posted December 5 2018 - 2:36 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado

A hard drive crash last month made me lose the first 20 days of anting records, and some videos detailing eclosion in my carpenter ants. I also lost many more things: about a full year of photos from NYC, California, Iowa, and many nature things like my first live rattlesnake sighting to a lonesome Saguaro in a vast New Mexico desert.  In the 20 years I've been using computers, I've never had a hard drive crash so suddenly and dramatically as this one did (to be technical, I blame the severe static electricity in my dry Colorado apartment).

But the loss has inspired me to build up a personal website and gallery of what's left of my photos and ant records, and I look forward to sharing that later on through my profile, and probably a reply to this post :)

Stay tuned!

• DaveJay likes this

#2 Offline DaveJay - Posted December 5 2018 - 10:24 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

I feel your pain! I lost years of photos, records and field observations even with 3 copies of my hard-drive. My external fell off the computer box and couldn't be recovered, then within a week my computer crashed, hard drive burnt out, went to my mate to get the copy I put on his external drive and he'd wiped it and traded it in a few days before without backing up my partition, so everything gone in less than two weeks :( Maybe one day I can afford to send the drives away to be repacked or something but it's beyond what my local IT guy can do. I'm still at risk but it's why when I process a batch of photos I upload them all, at least I can download them again.

Looking forward to your site!  

• CampoKing likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users