• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Founding L. Umbratus with none Lasius workers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nanos - Posted December 5 2018 - 11:57 AM

Nanos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalina, Kansas

This november i caught two queens I believe are Lasius umbratus, (i'm in central Kansas) the info I've been able to find says that they usually start by infiltrating the colony of another Lasius species, but I found both of my queens in close proximity to non Lasius colonies. One queen was in a root cavity very close to a Cremanogaster colony, and one was found walking around very close to a Prenolopsis imparis colony. Now I know that this doesn't necessarily mean that they were planning on infiltrating the nests but it got me thinking that it's a possibility. As anyone tried this before? or is aware of someone that has? is there any reason why this would not work in captivity? Unless L. umbratus larvae require a specific type of care I don't see why this would not work but, maybe i'm missing something. 

#2 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted December 5 2018 - 12:27 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I had a Lasius murphyi queen that I refridgerated and dropped in with some Formica sp workers and brood. Kept them together in the fridge for 24 hours and then took them out and within an hour the queen was dead.

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted December 5 2018 - 2:10 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I guess it would be a simple experiment to perform but you're probably not going to get good results. If you want to really start a colony with them it's probably best to just use Lasius. Definitely read this thread if you haven't. I don't believe any other species outside the genus Lasius have been observed as hosts.

Edited by Nathant2131, December 5 2018 - 2:13 PM.

#4 Offline Nanos - Posted December 8 2018 - 10:20 PM

Nanos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalina, Kansas

I guess it would be a simple experiment to perform but you're probably not going to get good results. If you want to really start a colony with them it's probably best to just use Lasius. Definitely read this thread if you haven't. I don't believe any other species outside the genus Lasius have been observed as hosts.

i've read it and i've also read the paper talking about founding various temporary social parasites. from the evidence given in the paper It seems to me that the queens are not very combative (at least with the workers) so i was thinking callow workers from any species should work, since they would not reject her. But Idk, this is mostly a back up plan in case i can't find a lasius colony.  

• Nathant2131 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users