• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Greg's Formicariums

formicarium ant farm habitat container

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 21 2015 - 10:32 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So as my colonies grow, I have started to experiment with making formicariums. My primary materials will be hydrostone and firebrick. Obviously, I am not going to be making works of art, such as Tarheel Ants, byFormica, or even dspdrew. Also, I do not plan on selling. This thread will show the finished products, and not document things in between as Drew's formicarium threads. This may change in the future. My first formicariums will probably be garbage, but I have 38 pounds of hydrostone, so I have plenty to test with. Anyway, I will be organizing my "creations" into various levels. The breakdown is:

• Tier (T)
  • Version (V)
  • Modification (M)

The tier (T0-T5) is the size of the colony the project is meant for, T0 being test tube alternatives for lone queens, T1 being for queens with their first workers, to T5, for massive and mature colonies. The version number is the specific project or design, and the mod number is the number for additional modifications for the base design.

Edited by Gregory2455, February 20 2019 - 10:27 PM.

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 21 2015 - 10:39 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I will post pictures of my first project tomorrow, (T2V1M1) made of hydrostone made for my Tetramorium. I will wait for your thoughts before moving my ants in there, as I have no experience with formicariums (yet)! :D

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 22 2015 - 9:08 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Come on show everything. :) I wish more people would make threads documenting their projects, showing every step of the way.

• BugFinder likes this

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 23 2015 - 5:06 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Indeed, it would certainly give people a greater appreciation for the work and thought it takes to build one that both looks good and functions well to see bungled build attempts :~p
  • BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 23 2015 - 6:26 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Why not let everybody learn from your mistakes. I'm sure a few people have learned from mine. :)

gallery_2_137_62223.jpg

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 23 2015 - 7:56 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I will once I know what I am doing, but until then I will be asking questions. By the way I have not posted images of this project yet, as it was taking longer to finish, but tomorrow it should be done.

#7 Offline Miles - Posted February 24 2015 - 3:28 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Is it done yet?

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#8 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 24 2015 - 3:30 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yes. :D

#9 Offline Miles - Posted February 24 2015 - 4:37 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Pictures!

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 24 2015 - 10:13 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Okay. Pictures are coming today. I basically messed up like Drew's first ytong nest shown above, except not so bad. Something happened with the hydrostone, but it kinda shrunk while drying.The nest part seemed to have pulled away from the glass, so now the ants would be able to squeeze around and possibly get trapped. It is basically a loss, but I do not really mind, as it was just an experiment...

#11 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 24 2015 - 11:34 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

(T2V1M1)

Okay here is the failed attempt. For some reason, the hydrostone cracked up and shrunk. 

And you can see here that there is a space between the nest module and the glass.

Edited by Gregory2455, February 24 2015 - 11:40 PM.

#12 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 24 2015 - 11:38 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

And here is a bare experimental nest module showing off its nice sandy walls. :D I figured out a way to get sand to stick very firmly to hydrostone, and have explained it in chat, and will show it later on this thread. This nest module is designed to go into formicarium (T1V1M1).

Edited by Gregory2455, February 24 2015 - 11:41 PM.

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 24 2015 - 11:40 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I also found that adding sand into the hydrostone mix as a top layer, over the solid hydrotone making the nest absorbs water a lot faster than normal hydrostone, and will gradually feed it into the solid hydrostone, which can hold water well, but takes forever to soak up the water.

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 25 2015 - 12:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

... which can hold water well, but takes forever to soak up the water.

That's a good description of Hydrostone.

#15 Offline antmaniac - Posted February 25 2015 - 3:35 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

@Gregory2455 Very neat design with that hydrostone and ytong combo.

@dspdrew How did you break your ytong nest?

#16 Offline dean_k - Posted February 25 2015 - 6:17 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Gregory2455 is a younger version of dspdrew.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#17 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 25 2015 - 6:42 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I was trying something stupid and way too hard because I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

#18 Offline Miles - Posted February 25 2015 - 8:26 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

... which can hold water well, but takes forever to soak up the water.

Interesting. The Hydrostone that Ray Mendez showed us readily soaked up water.

#19 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 25 2015 - 8:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Interesting. The Hydrostone that Ray Mendez showed us readily soaked up water.

I guess it's just a matter of what you feel slow is. I'll say this: Hydrostone definitely soaks up water a lot slower than Ytong, dirt, or any sponge.

Edit: Actually a really thick PVA sponge can soak up water extremely slow sometimes.

Edited by dspdrew, February 25 2015 - 10:02 AM.

#20 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 25 2015 - 9:25 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

@Gregory2455 Very neat design with that hydrostone and ytong combo.

Nine of this is Ytong.

Gregory2455 is a younger version of dspdrew.

:D :D :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, ant farm, habitat, container

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users