• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Central Kansas 11/20/18, Update: size was wrong

queenid ant queen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Nanos - Posted November 20 2018 - 4:03 PM

Nanos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalina, Kansas

I'm thinking this might be Lasius Claviger.

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Salina Kansas

2. Date of collection: 11/16/18

3. Habitat of collection: Roots of silphium (related to sunflower), there was a colony of crematogaster cersei in the same root, but they were in separate locations. the crematogasters did not recognize her as a member. 

4. Length (from head to gaster):  7 mm or 0.28 inches (Edited)

5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: body is amber, the legs are a bit lighter. 

6. Distinguishing characteristics: one sharp/pointy petiole nodes, no spines that i could see. antennea from what i can tell have 12 segments.

7. Distinguishing behavior: when confronted with a crematogaster worker she just ran away, did not attempt to fight. 

8. Nest description: Unknown.

9. Nuptial flight time and date: Unknown

Pics: 31AA2v2

Edited by Nanos, November 21 2018 - 12:19 AM.

#2 Offline Nanos - Posted November 23 2018 - 6:51 PM

Nanos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalina, Kansas

I think i've Figure it out. I found another queen today strolling along some rocks near some woods . After capturing her, i chilled her and used the "Ants of North America a guide to genera" to make sure that it was indeed in the genus Lasius ( it could be Formica but then it would be Formica fusca which is apparently not in Kansas). According to a checklist publish by the University of Emporia in 1994, Lasius claviger is not in kansas so what i have is either Lasius umbratus or Lasius speculiventris. Either way they are temporary social parasites so what I need to do to help make a colony is the same. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queenid, ant queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users