• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Food Breeding

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted October 25 2018 - 3:42 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So I've been wondering how to breed things like mealworms, superworms, crickets, wax worms, and so on. I don't know anyone who really knows how to breed things so that's why i'm posting this. Please comment if you know how to, THANKS!

• DaveJay likes this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#2 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 25 2018 - 6:24 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
There are a few threads on this already, a search should reveal some. I don't have time atm to go into the slight differences between each feeder but a basic set up for mealworms and roaches is the basis for breeding the others. I have to keep it brief though and perhaps elaborate later.
A critter keeper works for a small colony, sometimes a finer mesh is needed for the lid, but not for mealworms/superworms, but any plastic tub will do if ventilation is added.
Put a layer of rolled oats, I mix whole and quick cooking, make it one or two inches thick. Build shelter out of egg cartons, cardboard, toilet rolls etc, its better if its stacked with as many nooks and crannies as possible. Leave one end of the tank free of obstructions so that you can add food directly to the oats. The oats will dehydrate uneaten food stopping it from going mouldy. That's about it for mealworms and roaches, crickets and superworms need extra steps to breed successfully.
Nutritious foods that are readily accepted are carrot and spinach/chard. Water is not needed if fresh carrot is added twice a week, thin slices that dry out added twice a week are better than adding large pieces that might go mouldy once a week.
  • FSTP likes this

#3 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted October 26 2018 - 6:20 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Thanks!

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop: