• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My young Pheidole Pilifera colony won't eat sugar or nuts.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ltislander - Posted October 9 2018 - 4:13 PM

Ltislander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

They have eaten one small insect over the past week and have tons of brood. They haven't eaten all of the nuts I've given them and won't eat sugar water or watered down honey.

#2 Offline AURA - Posted October 10 2018 - 2:08 PM

AURA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn New York

Pheidole are known to be picky eaters.

#3 Offline CoolColJ - Posted October 12 2018 - 3:49 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Most likley because they are full check their gasters on magnifying glass or microscope etc

When Pheidole colonies are young they barely eat anything, and you can feed them on 2 week cycles.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#4 Offline Ltislander - Posted October 13 2018 - 4:42 PM

Ltislander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Thanks, they have started eating again because I think they got bored of just eating spiders. So I fed them a cricket and they swarmed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users