• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from SoCal, Orange County area

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 7 2018 - 7:12 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Hello everyone I (like many people in this forum apparently) live in Socal. It's actually very surprising to see such an active ant collecting community so close to where I live.

So a bit about me, when I was young I always wanted to be an entomologist. I have fond memories of digging up and trying to collect giant red fire ants as pets. I remember my hands being stung so bad they would feel like they were on fire(untill I realized you could pull the stinger out ;) ). Sadly I never got to establish a colony, I just didn't have the know how to make it happen apparently.

As time went on I ended up becoming a pre School teacher and I now have kids of my own. A three year old with autism(and who is pretty affraid of bugs) and a newborn. honestly I wasn't even aware of this "hobby"/form of pet was even a "thing"(it's not really advertised like bee keeping is) untill recently when a video from Antscanada showed up on my news feed.

Memories of my childhood flooded my mind and brought me back to good times, before adulthood had come.

Now I find myself wanting to try my hand at Ant collecting as an adult.Maybe see if I can't get my kids involved one day. Hell maybe even my class room can get a chance at learning a thing or two about ant colonies. Just gotta some how convince my GF to allow it :D , she is not fond of bugs and so keeping some in the house could be a point of contention.

Well can't wait to hear from and maybe even meet some of you in the near future.

#2 Offline Patp3 - Posted October 7 2018 - 7:59 AM

Patp3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
Welcome! Nice to meet another ant enthusiast! I'm new myself, and recently caught my first queens. If your local to so cal you can always buy a queen from one of the GAN members here in socal, that's how I got my first colony and it's nice to have ants that got a great start with an expert. Well best of luck, I'm sure I'll see you around!

#3 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 7 2018 - 8:25 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
I have definitely considered that. My reasons for wanting to do it the "old fashioned" way. Is one: I think the collecting and raising of a colony from scratch sounds fun.Two: The cheaper it is the easier it will be to convince the GF lol. Though a lot of these founding colonies being sold aren't bad in price to be honest.

I got my eye on those acromyrmex versicolor since their nuptial flights are still happening.
Or maybe even Myrmecocystus Mexicana. The repletes are so awesome to look at, and I hear their colonies stay small, which means not having to increase their nest size too often.

#4 Offline Gabraime - Posted October 8 2018 - 1:32 PM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
Welcome, Iam so close of you guys, I finally cought my first solenopsis queens this year too.

#5 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 8 2018 - 1:37 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Oh nice, my GFs son live in San Diego. We got there most weekends. Solenopsis huh? Risky girls they are.

#6 Offline Gabraime - Posted October 9 2018 - 4:37 AM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
Yeah Solenopsis Xyloni, they are actually easy to keep, but they grow really fast! What I like a lot are those super majors workers.

#7 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 9 2018 - 8:34 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Solenopsis ants sounds pretty cool, but I'm gonna try to avoid them to be honest. They grow to massive sizes of which I doubt I could contain indefinitely.

And they're stings hurt pretty good, and I have kids. Honestly I'm looking more towards those Myrmecocystus ants(either Mexicanus or Navajo). Only problem is I know they tend to have pretty high mortality rates and don't like moving nests so figuring out a way for them to grow into a larger neat is tricky aside from just going with a natural set up of a dirt box

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users