• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

fungus growing queen not doing well help!!!

fungus growing queen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cmz_neu - Posted January 12 2016 - 2:31 PM

cmz_neu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The ruler is in centimeters.

Help this queen is not doing well, it has laid eggs but they are scatered and she is not tending them, people have told me is a fungus growing ant and i have read that they carry fungus spores with them when they leave the colony to start a new garden but i have provided her with some tree leaves, lettuce leaves brocolly leaves and flower,some seeds and some rabbit pellets(that is full of grasses and plant material) but she has show no interest in them and hasn't grown any fungus, it's been more than a week now and i'm worried she will die!
What do i feed her???

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 12 2016 - 2:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

She probably did not successfully start a fungus garden because she either did not have a fungus pellet with her when she flew, or she had it and it just didn't start growing. I had Acromyrmex versicolor queens live without their fungus (their only food) for up to four months before, so you might have some time. Any idea what species this is?

#3 Offline cmz_neu - Posted January 12 2016 - 3:25 PM

cmz_neu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

People have told me its a Trachymyrmex sp or Acromyrmex sp, she did eat some honey I gave her but she isn't even taking care of her eggs, any chance they can live without fungus? and if so what can I feed her?

#4 Offline Mdrogun - Posted January 12 2016 - 3:39 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

They will die without fungus since it is the only food they can eat. Unless you can find some fungus for her she is doomed.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#5 Offline cmz_neu - Posted January 12 2016 - 5:28 PM

cmz_neu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I just checked on her and there are some yellowish-green clumps that she seams interested in any chance that is the fungus? could if be that she didn't grow it from a piece of leaves because all the leaves i gave her seem to be uncut, then again it could be just some type of mold.

Edited by cmz_neu, January 12 2016 - 7:35 PM.

#6 Offline swagman - Posted January 17 2016 - 1:23 PM

swagman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationGermany

i have read that they carry fungus spores with them when they leave the colony to start a new garden

Actually there are no spores. That was a wrong assumption by earlier myrmecologists.

Founding queens are carrying a small fungus mycel (pellet) in a special pocket in their mouth to start a new fungus garden with it. They canĀ“t start a fungus garden without it.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users