• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

African Ants with Golden Gasters? (Nouakchott, Mauritania. Africa 2015Aug07)

Best Answer Mauritaniants , August 8 2015 - 11:11 PM

Beautiful queen! Looks like a Camponotus sp.

Not Camponotus. I forget the name of this ant, quite common in certain locations. It is not something we see in North America.
I think you are confused with Polyrhachis. This is definitely a Camponotus sp. queen.
Camponotus sericeus seems right. Here's some good pictures of C. sericeus. and

Jonathan, thank you!
I'm very tempted to mark this solved but I'll wait for some more confirmation. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mauritaniants - Posted August 7 2015 - 9:35 AM

Mauritaniants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

1. Location:

Nouakchott, Mauritania is Northern West part of the continent of Africa and is primarily composed of hot, dry desert and small areas of under developed cities.

2. Date Of Collection: I caught the queen back in August 3rd around 2300 immediately after it rained.

3. Habitat: The surrounding area of the nest the queen is from is mostly made of up hot dry sand with very little vegetation or water.  I saw a couple of foragers near crawling around an exterior air conditioning systems that is leaking water. 

4. Length: 2cm , see photo for reference

5.Coloration: Most distinct feature is the golden, almost silk-like texture of her gaster with 3 black stripes that resemble a vinyl finish.  The golden coloration spreads up to her lower thorax.

6.Characteristics: 1 long segment followed by 11 more that gradually decrease in length,V-shaped head with large mandibles, large sized eyes with very fine mesh texture, one petiole, 3 dots(grooves?) on the "forehead"

7.Other: Nuptial Flight was at night?

8.Nest: Entrance of the nest was littered with large loose gravel, the nest entrance itself leads to a small crack in an unused driveway cement with some fine grains of sand.

sCEHcbuh.jpgarIWaLt.jpg

Edited by Mauritaniants, August 7 2015 - 9:43 AM.

#2 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 7 2015 - 9:39 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

You didn't add any photos.

#3 Offline Mauritaniants - Posted August 7 2015 - 9:44 AM

Mauritaniants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

You didn't add any photos.

It's updated now, it somehow posted before I was done with all the info I wanted to add.

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted August 7 2015 - 9:46 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

#5 Offline Mauritaniants - Posted August 7 2015 - 9:49 AM

Mauritaniants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks, Ant4fun!

Its only been 4 days and one of the queens has already laid eggs.

I got five of them in a test tube set up.

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted August 7 2015 - 11:21 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Not Camponotus.  I forget the name of this ant, quite common in certain locations.  It is not something we see in North America.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Offline Mauritaniants - Posted August 7 2015 - 11:36 AM

Mauritaniants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Not Camponotus. I forget the name of this ant, quite common in certain locations. It is not something we see in North America.

Hmm... Interesting.
Do you remember which genus this belongs to?

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted August 7 2015 - 12:02 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

No, I do remember that I thought it looked really neat and it was a pity it wasn't in North America, let alone Canada.

I think there is also another species in this genus with silver hairs.

If I remember correctly, the post I once saw the guy said that the queens move pretty quick and the workers are even faster.

I have tried to find that post, I know I saw that ID last year or the year before.  Not having much luck finding it though, it isn't on this site.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#9 Offline Mauritaniants - Posted August 7 2015 - 12:31 PM

Mauritaniants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
You're right, they're very jittery and quick specially when I just placed them in the test tube.

Thanks for looking, Crystal :)

#10 Offline Crystals - Posted August 7 2015 - 12:41 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

This link may help.  I still haven't found that specific ID thread...  It may actually be Camponotus after all, but the queens proportions do not look correct.  There is an ID key for each species.

http://antsofafrica.....htm#formicinae

My Colonies

#11 Offline Diffeomorphismus - Posted August 7 2015 - 12:41 PM

Diffeomorphismus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGermany

I think this queen belongs to the genus Camponotus. There are 17 native ant species in Mauritania (antmaps.org). The only possible species ist C. sericeus. 

• Mauritaniants likes this

#12 Offline LC3 - Posted August 7 2015 - 2:03 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Not Camponotus.  I forget the name of this ant, quite common in certain locations.  It is not something we see in North America.

No, I do remember that I thought it looked really neat and it was a pity it wasn't in North America, let alone Canada.

I think there is also another species in this genus with silver hairs.

If I remember correctly, the post I once saw the guy said that the queens move pretty quick and the workers are even faster.

I have tried to find that post, I know I saw that ID last year or the year before.  Not having much luck finding it though, it isn't on this site.

I think your referring to the genus Cataglyphis also there is a species with silver hairs; Cataglyphis bombycina (Silver desert ant).

#13 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 8 2015 - 12:56 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

I think you are confused with Polyrhachis. This is definitely a Camponotus sp. queen.

Camponotus sericeus seems right. Here's some good pictures of C. sericeus. http://www.phantasti...0108_Bild_1.jpg and  http://www.phantasti...1107_Bild_2.jpg

Edited by Jonathan21700, August 8 2015 - 1:03 PM.

• Mauritaniants likes this

#14 Offline Mauritaniants - Posted August 8 2015 - 11:11 PM   Best Answer

Mauritaniants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Camponotus sericeus seems right. Here's some good pictures of C. sericeus. and

Jonathan, thank you!
I'm very tempted to mark this solved but I'll wait for some more confirmation.

#15 Offline William. T - Posted August 9 2015 - 10:34 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

This link may help.  I still haven't found that specific ID thread...  It may actually be Camponotus after all, but the queens proportions do not look correct.  There is an ID key for each species.

http://antsofafrica.....htm#formicinae

It really looks like Camponotus. Looks a little shiny compared to our dull back ones back home, but this looks like Camponotus.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users