• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bugfinders Tetramorium Caespitum

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 6 2015 - 4:56 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

On March 14 my buddy David gave me two colonies of Tetramorium Caespitum (pavement ants).  They are tiny little ants, but very interesting.  

Today my first Nucleus arrived from Tarheel Ants.  I'm so excited it's finally here!  I set one of the tubes of these T. Caespitum inside the outworld and put the lid back on it to allow them to move in at their leisure.  I used a cotton ball to block half the nest (Macks great advice) to keep them from using the entire nest until the colony is bigger.  This colony will be referred to as Nucleus 1 from now on.

YhTHxUS.jpg

xSBy1jZ.jpg

Edited by BugFinder, April 6 2015 - 7:18 PM.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline AntTeen804 - Posted April 6 2015 - 5:32 PM

AntTeen804

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Nice tetramorium was my first colony
  • BugFinder likes this

If you ain't got a dream, you ain't got nothing.

#3 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 6 2015 - 7:23 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

As you can see from the photo above, I put their tube into the outworld of the Nucleus.  Then I covered the nest with a towel to make it dark down there and put them under the bright lights in my kitchen.  A couple of them have explored the nest, many of them have explored the outworld, but as expected they are holding tight in the tube, which is fine because I have no need to rush them.  I'm going to let them move in as they wish.  No need to rush them, I'm just going to watch.

BTW:  My initial thoughts are I love love love that nucleus, so glad I bought it.  Planning to buy another just like it for my T. Caespitum #2.  

I'm hoping to spread my Pogonomyrmex colonies out, having one in a nucleus, one in a hybird by Ants Canada, and one in whatever nest byformica is currently developing.  

I haven't yet decided what to do with my D. Bicolor colonies.  I guess that depend on which nest I like best after trying them all out on my Pogonomyrmex.

Edited by BugFinder, April 6 2015 - 10:33 PM.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#4 Offline Miles - Posted April 6 2015 - 7:28 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I just received my first Nucleus formicarium today as well! By far the best ant keeping product I have ever had. My only advice would be to shorten the tube you have connecting the outworld and the nest for aesthetic purposes.

Edited by Miles, April 6 2015 - 7:49 PM.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#5 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 6 2015 - 7:33 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I may do that.  Thanks for the advice.  Would you post photos of yours?  What color did you get?  I didn't think I'd like this yellow color but as it turns out, I do like it alot.

Edited by BugFinder, April 6 2015 - 7:34 PM.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#6 Offline Miles - Posted April 6 2015 - 7:38 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

I may do that.  Thanks for the advice.  Would you post photos of yours?  What color did you get?  I didn't think I'd like this yellow color but as it turns out, I do like it alot.

I will definitely post photos and an objective review of mine. I went with the terra-cotta option.

I like the color you chose quite a bit. I've got to say, both of them look pretty darn good!

• BugFinder likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 6 2015 - 8:06 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You have two colonies, and one goes into the Nucleus- what happens to the other? This species does fine in just simple test tubes so do not worry about the second colony not having a formicarium.

#8 Offline Miles - Posted April 6 2015 - 8:09 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

You have two colonies, and one goes into the Nucleus- what happens to the other? This species does fine in just simple test tubes so do not worry about the second colony not having a formicarium.

All of my Tetramorium colonies failed in test tubes, while those put in formicariums survived. Just a thought.

#9 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 6 2015 - 8:13 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

The other colony is still in their test tube until I can obtain another formicarium for them.

Yikes!

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 6 2015 - 8:22 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

All of my Tetramorium colonies failed in test tubes, while those put in formicariums survived. Just a thought.

Mine is living in two test tubes, and are over two hundred workers now. :P What were the circumstances to your colonies dying besides test tubes, because mine are doing great.

#11 Offline Miles - Posted April 6 2015 - 8:34 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Mine is living in two test tubes, and are over two hundred workers now. :P What were the circumstances to your colonies dying besides test tubes, because mine are doing great.

It seems to be a huge matter of luck with test tubes. I have raised successful colonies in them, but very few.

The test tubes varied. In some, it was a standard setup, in others, an outworld was connected. I actually tried a number of variables, and by majority they failed after ~20 workers. Those that survived were the colonies that were moved into a formicarium.

Let's not hijack BugFinder's thread.

Edited by Miles, April 6 2015 - 8:35 PM.

#12 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 6 2015 - 8:37 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

How do you feed them without having a million (more like 20) run out?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 6 2015 - 8:38 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Fluon. :D

#14 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 6 2015 - 9:08 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

that's been difficult, and fun to try.  lol.  I have not been very successful at it.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#15 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 6 2015 - 10:32 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

What do these little buggers prefer to eat?

• AntTeen804 likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 6 2015 - 11:15 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
They love byFormica Blue 100, crickets, other insects, just about anything. They do not seem to be picky at all.

Edited by Gregory2455, April 6 2015 - 11:15 PM.

• BugFinder and AntTeen804 like this

#17 Offline AntTeen804 - Posted April 7 2015 - 7:55 AM

AntTeen804

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia
That's why I love them there're so easy to take care of.
  • BugFinder likes this

If you ain't got a dream, you ain't got nothing.

#18 Offline Miles - Posted April 7 2015 - 8:34 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Mine love fruit flies, mealworms, THA ant juice, and apples.

• BugFinder likes this

#19 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 7 2015 - 11:58 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Nice colony! THA makes amazing looking formicariums. How many workers are there?

#20 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 7 2015 - 1:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Fluon. :D

I've never tried Fluon in a test tube before, but it does sound like something that could work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users