• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ra3MaN's Founding chamber - Outworld Design.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 1 2015 - 11:25 PM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

My design is as follows

IMG 6105 Formicarium

IMG 6107 Formicarium

IMG 6106 Formicarium

IMG 6108 Formicarium

I found that using a soldering Iron to make the holes is amazingly accurate and great when using plastic. Especially if you intend on using food containers and such. I used two sizes of tubes, one which fits in to the other, in case I need to join an additional outworld/Formicarium at a later stage. The only down side is that the melting plastic creates fumes, this however is only a disadvantage if one intends on making additionally holes into formicariums with ants already inside. 

The ventataltion holes i made were too big so I blocked them up with cotton, and that eliminates my need for petroleum jelly or oils. I will buy a more transparent container at a later stage for my out World... 

I hope this helps someone out. 

Attached Images

• IMG_6105.jpg
  • IMG_6108.jpg
  • IMG_6107.jpg
  • IMG_6106.jpg
  • IMG_6105.jpg

Edited by Ra3MaN, March 3 2015 - 12:07 AM.

• Gregory2455 likes this
IMG 5858

#2 Offline AntGuySA - Posted March 1 2015 - 11:57 PM

AntGuySA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Hey Ra3MaN

looking good buddy keep up the great work and thanks for the soldering iron tip.

Regards, AntGuySA

It`s not rocket science 

#3 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 2 2015 - 1:44 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Yea, I too use a soldering iron for making holes and it works really good. :)

• Ra3MaN likes this

#4 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 8 2015 - 11:06 PM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

Update to the formacaruim.

Hey guys, I have updated my plastic formacaruim, I am starting to think of my formacaruim as a space station because I can add modules to it. I have yet to see if my ants will use it. They are still a small colony but I will leave it there anyway.

IMG 6183-1

So I started out with transparent containers used for cosmetics. That I obtained from a local plastics store here in South Africa. 

IMG 6160 2

I used a soldering Iron to make the holes in the plastic. Clear plastic is pretty brittle, So this is my favourite method to make the holes. A word of caution, the fumes of the melting plastic may cause irritation to the lungs, so I advise that you do it in a well ventilated room if you want to use that method to make holes…

IMG 6166 3

This is just a look at how it looks after I have made the hole.

IMG 6169 4

I took a short piece of tubing to connect the individual pieces together.

IMG 6164 5
IMG 6170 6

I managed to get the holes pretty uniform and in similar areas on the container so that made it easy to fit the containers together. The only thing that I messed up with a bit is that I made the holes a bit high.

For my reservoir, I just connected a container in the same fashion and just stuck a piece of sponge in there. I filled the tubes that lead into that container with cotton so that the moisture can bleed into the others that are being used for brood.

IMG 6176 7

I made some holes in the tops of the containers because I notice that there tends to be a lot of condensation in most of the formicariums that I have seen. The big container is a clear plastic container that is used to store photographs.

The large container gave me the biggest hassle, because of the tubing I have selected for it. But I managed to make a hole that allows the tube to fit like a glove.

All that was left was to connect it to the main founding chamber and outworld.

IMG 6179 8

I placed the setup on a tray, because I fear that too much movement would cause the individual containers to come loose. So it seems to be working for me this way.

IMG 6186 9

The foraging workers have been regularly coming into the new open area but they haven’t found the formicarium yet…. So far, so good.

What haven’t show is my feeders that I used; I will post that in that collection of feeders topic. I have covered the new formicarium with tinfoil to encourage the ants to migrate to the new nest but I don’t think it will happen until the founding chamber’s water source dries up. 

• Gregory2455 likes this
IMG 5858

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 9 2015 - 3:05 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Those little containers look sort of like our 'Boxbox' brand- amazing containers!

• Ra3MaN likes this

#6 Offline Wraiith303 - Posted March 25 2015 - 10:31 AM

Wraiith303

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa - JHB Area

Hi guys... Finally decided to register so I can post.

Which plastic store in South Africa did you get those containers from? I'm also from South Africa, and managed to catch 4 Queens on Monday (I believe they are fertile as I managed to see them mating, and suspect they are lasius niger queens)

I'm currently using a very simple setup for the queens (Couldn't get test tubes - and the small plastic ones I got from pharmacy for storing blood samples had some anti bacterial gel in the bottom that I couldn't get out)

Would love to hear how other RSA residents are coping with ants, since it's really expensive to import all the fancy tarheel/antscanada nests

#7 Offline SMILEforAnts - Posted March 25 2015 - 10:29 PM

SMILEforAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Lovin the design!

This is what I eventually want to do for my S. geminata colony, but I have a hard time finding perfect little containers like what you have, out here.

SMILEforAnts [YouTube channel]

Pictures of my past colony [Pheidole megacephala]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users